ENGLISH HERITAGE GRADE II LISTING DETAIL DATED 28TH JANUARY 1957
Here's the listing detail that can be found here on the English Heritage website. The author's opinion is that the building is early 17thC but identifies 16thC tudor arched doorways! He could be forgiven though, as the building was substantially altered c1811 into a Georgian period mansion.
Here are some points to consider in determining the age of the Manor House. A feoffment dated 1516 states that the use of the manor is transferred to Simon Digby's wife, Alice, thereafter his son Thomas. Simon Digby's first involvement with Mansfield Woodhouse is described in a land transfer to him from the Stuffyns in 1480. The building, therefore, could be late 15thC or even earlier. A feoffment dated 1512 detailing the transfer of the manor to Simon Digby, describes Ralph Stuffyn as 'late of Mansfield Woodhouse' so he may have built the original manor house and the Digby's moved in!
The Stuffyns were servants of the King as tax collectors and officers of the Royal Forests and hunting parks, who were empowered to impose heavy fines on those found guilty of poaching the King's venison or removing timber. Literally a few yards away from the Manor House, in St Edmunds church, is the Stuffyn Chantry that was founded in 1344 by Robert Stuffyn the wealthy wool merchant, who also donated 6 acres of the Woodhouse Manor to the Felley Priory, owners of the church. A chaplain was paid six silver shillings every year to to protect the souls of past, present and future Stuffyns. It is therefore a possibility that the Stuffyn's built their home close to the chantry. In the pre-reformation period, God fearing wealthy people donated huge amounts of their own wealth to the catholic priories to prey for their souls believing that their sins would be forgiven!
THE LISTING DETAIL
MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE PRIORY ROAD SK 5363 SE and SK 5463 SW (south side) 6/59 and 7/59 The Manor House and adjoining boundary wall 28.1.57 G.V. II Manor house. Now offices. Early C17. Alterations and additions C18 and early C19. Largely in the Gothick style. Coursed rubble, coursed squared rubble, roughcast and pebbledash. Hipped and gabled graduated slate roof. Ashlar dressings. Projecting quoins, moulded eaves band, crenellated and plain coped parapets, coped gables. 2 gable and 3 ridge stacks. 2 and 3 storeys plus garrets. 15 bays. Modified H-plan with additions. Windows are mostly mid C19 glazing bar sashes. Most have projecting eared and keystoned architraves.
South front has to left, flat-roofed single bay addition with door. To its right, blocked opening with C20 door and beyond, paired and single sashes. To right again, parapeted porch with C16 Tudor arched doorway. Above it, blank niche. To right again, 2 sashes. Projecting 3 storey bay has C20 Tudor arched door flanked by 2 sashes. In return angle to east, quarter-round portico with 4 columns and crenellated parapet. 2 storey wing to right has 4 tall sashes and to right, C20 canted bay window with 3 sashes. Above, to left, paired sash flanked by single sashes. To right, 10 sashes of different sizes. Beyond, blocked opening and a single sash. Above again, 3 sashes. Return angle has to west, 3 sashes and above, 2 sashes and 2 blocked openings. West front has central louvred opening and above, central C20 casement. Rear elevation has to left, C20 flat-roofed addition, 2 storeys, 3 bays. To its right, 3 bay gabled wing and double gabled 3 storey wing with 2 C20 flat-roofed single bay additions. Between the wings, 3 bay recess with C20 2 storey infill. To left, recessed panelled doorway with fanlight, flanked to left by 2 and to right by 5 sashes. Beyond, to left, a casement. Beyond, to right, a cross casement and a plain casement. To right again, casement flanked by single sashes. Beyond again, casement flanked by single doors. Above, to left, 4 sashes and oval dummy window. To right, 4 sashes and oval dummy window flanked by single cross casements. Beyond, sash and cross casement, and to their right, a casement and 3 sashes. Above again, to left, 2 sashes and to their right, 2 mullioned casements flanked by single blocked mullioned casements. Beyond, another mullioned casement. East front has at each end a projecting wing, that to right hipped. Between them, single storey flat roofed C20 addition. To left, 6 metal casements, and to right, double door and single casement, all C20. Above, to left, central Venetian window with keystone, flanked by single sashes. Beyond, to right, a sash. Above again, to left, flat roofed dormer with sash, and to right, 3 gabled dormers with casements. Return angle to north has, above, a casement and a round headed casement with fanlight.
Interior has to south east, main staircase, late C17. Square well, 3 flights plus landings. Square panelled newels, double vase, vase and stem and barley sugar balusters. Ramped handrail. Scroll carved string and undertread with scroll brackets and bosses. Heavily moulded stair wall and dado. Stair well has door way with Corinthian Interior has to south east, main staircase, late C17. Square well, 3 flights plus landings. Square panelled newels, double vase, vase and stem and barley sugar balusters. Ramped handrail. Scroll carved string and undertread with scroll brackets and bosses. Heavily moulded stair wall and dado. Stair well has door way with Corinthian pilasters and mask keystone and decorative carving. C19 minor staircase, dogleg with landing, has square newels and vase and stem balusters. Second minor winder staircase has scrolled ramped handrail and stick balusters. Principal room on north side has framed timber panelling, dado and chair rail. Deep Classical cornice. Remains of similar panelling in corridor. Corresponding room on south side has plaster panels with moulded frames and C19 Classical timber fireplace with guilloche. Single moulded doorcase. First floor has to east, timber panelled room with deep cornice and keystoned window head. Bolection moulded fireplace with pulvinated frieze. To south east, similar panelled room with similar fireplace and 2 C18 doors. Panelled hallway. North side has panelled room with eared timber fireplaces and overmantel mirror with scroll brackets. 11 C18 2 panel doors. 2 late C18 iron doors with Tudor arched heads. Bolection moulded fireplace with bow fronted Adam style grate, early C19. West end has C17 principal rafter roof, hipped. East end has similar C17 roof with double purlins above the rafters. Outside, adjoining boundary wall to south, C18, coursed squared rubble with flat ramped coping. Approx. 50M long.