An aerial shot of the Manor House looking south. The house was built early 16th century on land donated to Austin Priory of Felley by Robert Stuffyn in 1344, hence the close proximity to the church owned by the Austin Priory. A court document dated 1516 heared the claim of Thomas Southworth of Austin Priory that 6 acres of land and the chantry was donated by the Stuffyn family to the Austin Priory to prey for their souls past, present & future for six silver shillings a year. However, he could not produce court testimony. The Stuffyns had transferred their lands to Fief of the Manor, Simon Digby, in 1512 by a feoffment. This was also the period of the protestant reformation started by Martin Luther who strongly disputed the claim that freedom from God's punishment for sin could be purchased with money and land.
An aerial shot of the Manor House looking east. Note the kink in the wall bottom left; this was the location of the entrance into the rear courtyard, stables & service areas. An OS map dated 1879 records a court yard, however the barns and stables that enclosed the courtyard to the left were cleared for the new development of houses. The old courtyard is now the carpark. Shown to the left with red tiled rooves, the modern houses were built during the transition of the house into flats. The land was originally part of the manor grounds but planning was sought to build the houses in order to fund the extensive work required for the conversion.
An aerial shot of the Manor House looking north. The road to the left is called Castle Street named after Woodhouse Castle, which was the name given locally after the owner, Colonel Need made sustantial Georgian period architectual changes including the crenelated parapets (wall battlements).