Woodhouse Castle or The Manor House, as it's lately known, is situated in Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire, England. The area is historically known as Sherwood Forest. It was built in the early 16th century by the Digby family who were in service to Henry VII. The Digby's gained the Manor of Mansfield Woodhouse from the Stuffyn family who had resided there as wealthy wool merchants and tax collectors for the Crown since the early 13th century. It is claimed that the Digby’s were founded during the Norman conquest of England, when William the Conqueror was accompanied by ‘Almar’ who settled at Tilton in Rutland. By 1418 Sir Everard "Greenleaf" Digby was Lord of Tilton and owner of the medieval manor at Drystoke and Rutland's member of parliament.
In 1461, Sir Everard Digby lost his life and most of the family’s wealth fighting in battle, during the War of the Roses for Henry VI and the House of Lancaster against the Yorkist, Edward IV in England’s bloodiest battle at Towton....................contact: firstname.lastname@example.org